Reactions to Braces

My Mum came with me to my adjustment appointment recently. Something she said while we were waiting made me think about the way braces are perceived by the people around you. She looked over at me and said "You can hardly see your braces". "And when you smile your teeth look so much straighter already, and you really can't even see the brace". It made me think about how different people react to braces, especially when people have them later in life.

Something that was quite a big deciding factor when I first thought about getting braces as an adult was, what would other people think about me in braces? Not only my boyfriend, my family and friends, but also complete strangers. Would they all think I was odd to have braces on at twenty-something? That I looked horrendous. Would they not even be bothered?

I only told a few of my close friends that I was thinking about getting braces. They were all very supportive and said I should go for it. Once I had the braces on and chatted with some of them again, they told me that they had never considered me one of their friends that needed to have braces! That my teeth were fine.

Anyway, here's an example of reactions I've had to my braces. Recently we met up with a couple of our close friends. I hugged and greeted them both. Later we were chatting away and then his girlfriend asked him what he thought of my braces. His reaction was "her what??". He hadn't even noticed them. 

I find it interesting the different reactions that I've had from people noticing my braces. I'm so glad I've got ceramic (tooth) coloured brackets and (up until recently!) white wires. They definitely have the advantage of being less obvious to the point that some people don't notice them! And when people find out you have braces they want to get close up and have a closer inspection.

I think some people just look past them and it is a lot more common in this day and age for adults to have braces. Now that I've had them on for almost 5 months, I can't imagine not having them on! Now that is odd. I think you and everyone around you just gets used to the braces, or doesn't even notice them!

What reactions have you had to braces?

Comments

  1. Just like in any other things, people have different views about braces as well. Though it's the younger ones that commonly wear them, nowadays, people don't really think much about who wears braces. We decide to get braces because we want to have perfectly aligned teeth and better oral health. People can give their opinion, but it's your well-being that matters. By the way, I'm happy that you feel good with your braces. Just continue being religious with your dental visits, and soon, you're going to achieve that million dollar smile. :)
    Agripina @ Smiles of Cary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts