Orthodontic Brace Wax





A photo of a box of OrthoSil orthodontic wax

This stuff, brace wax, has been a good friend to me. Especially when I first had my brace on.

I remember years ago (like, 12 years) when my friends had braces, their wax was red, nowadays it is clear. Thankfully! Well you use this stuff if you find that your brace brackets or wires are rubbing on your cheeks/lips and causing soreness or blistering. It will help to protect your mouth and make orthodontic treatment more comfortable.

After I had had my braces on for a few weeks, my cheeks seemed to get used to them being there and "hardened" up. After my first adjustment, I had new bits of wire and my cheeks started to cut into them, so I found I needed wax again. A bit of advice, always keep some of this to hand. I thought I'd not need it after the first few weeks of treatment, so had stored it away. But then got a niggle and hadn't got any! And let me say, it is no fun having ulcers in your mouth.  

Anywho, I've recently had to use the wax again on a bit of wire at the front of my bottom brace so thought I would write a little post about it.

So, you tear a little bit of this silicone orthodontic wax and roll it between your fingers into a little ball. Using a tissue, carefully dry the area you wish to apply the wax to, and gently apply the wax to the part of your brace that has been causing discomfort. Sometimes it's a little tricky but just persevere. The wax should cushion the irritated are and prevent any further discomfort. Oh, and you must remember to change the wax after eating anything as it attracts bits of food etc (nice!).

I was given a couple of boxes of this when I started treatment, but just ask for some from your orthodontist. Or I think you can buy it online.

Happy waxing :)

Comments

  1. Very Nice And Informative Article, I read useful dental news which are very helpful for me, thx for sharing. orthodontic wires,self ligating brackets is most important for clinics.

    Thanks,
    @Sinoortho
    orthodontic wax

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts