Eating with braces

Recently I came across a YouTube video giving examples of foods that you can eat while you have braces and it made me think about it. 

When I had my braces put on back in February 2013 I was told by the orthodontic nurse which foods to avoid. This was fine, but back then I found it difficult to bite anything. 

When I initially had my braces they felt alien. Big and awkward. They still do now sometimes but I just try to ignore them. But one thing that was hard is that my actual teeth at the front felt numb. For at least a few weeks. I think it may just have been because they had been violated as such. Because of this I didn't want to bite food and was also worried I might ping a bracket off. So now that I am almost 6 months into my treatment I have gotten very good at using a knife and fork to eat pretty much anything. I'm talking sandwiches to wotsits. I've just found that this is the easiest way. I don't know about other people with braces but before I had mine on I didn't have a proper "bite" anyway. I.e. if I bit into a piece of toast it would just leave teeth marks but not bite through. Very frustrating. That is one of the things I'm most looking forward to when my teeth have been straightened out. Biting Toast!

My feelings are to go easy with what you eat. Nothing that is too hard. You will know when you start eating it. This is the sort of food that could ping a bracket off. Not good.

I have been keeping food in as small pieces as possible or just eat soft foods.

In the first month of having my braces on I lost half a stone. This was through not eating between meals (mainly because I couldn't be bothered to clean my teeth after every single thing I ate so just stopped snacking). It was also because there were things that I couldn't/wasn't allowed to eat and also it took me a whole lot longer to eat anything. 

Mainly it was because I was having to cut everything up with a knife and fork and also I was having to chew everything lots more, and that chewing sometimes hurt due to the sensitivity of my teeth.


Well what I can now tell you as I am writing this, 9 months into orthodontic treatment, is that eating gets easier. Sooooo much easier.

You can even bite stuff. I find this amazing as before braces my "bite" didn't really work. I'd bite a sandwich or a piece of toast and it wouldn't break as my teeth didn't fit together. But today, for example, I ate a sandwich and actually enjoyed the experience. I still worry that I'm going to ping a bracket off or something silly but am still trying to behave with regard to what I eat. i.e avoid hard things such as crusty bread, apples etc. 

You just have to be careful and see what happens. Do what you feel comfortable with and don't worry about feeling silly or out of place if you cut up your food etc.

Braces are never forever, but once they are off and your teeth are straight. Well, they will be forever. So look forward to that. The time will fly by.

Enjoy munching :) 

Comments

Popular Posts