Someone else's story of braces

This is a little story of my younger brothers experience of having fixed braces. 

He has recently finished Uni, so my parents decided to take us away for a break for a few days. Anyway, as I haven't seen him much at all since I got my braces (Feb 2013), I've been updating him with how my orthodontic treatment is going and telling him about my experiences so far. His response so far has been "I didn't do that when I had braces, did I?". And he can hardly remember ever using brace wax (he is a man though, and we know they feel no pain). 

Well I thought I'd give you his tale of orthodontic work. So these are his before and after photos:


A photo of overcrowded crooked teeth before starting orthodontic treatment
At the start of his orthodontic treatment



A photo of straight teeth after orthodontic treatment with fixed braces
After orthodontic treatment with fixed braces

 
A photo of straight teeth after orthodontic treatment with fixed braces

A photo of straight teeth after orthodontic treatment with fixed braces
A photo of straight teeth after orthodontic treatment with fixed braces

A photo of straight teeth after orthodontic treatment with fixed braces

He began his teeth straightening experience back being in 2006. He was 15. And had teeth worse than mine (aesthetically I mean, he has never had a filling either!). One was growing down on top of another tooth. There was no choice for him not to have orthodontic work done as the teeth were affecting how he ate, smiled, everything as they were very high up and dug into his lips. By this time the orthodontist where NHS patients were being referred to was somewhere different to the practice I had been sent to. A brand new clinic and a new orthodontist. He explained that my brother would need 4 teeth out and fixed braces for at least 18months. (Sound familiar?!).

He remembers when he first had the braces on, bits of the brackets sticking into his cheeks, and having to put these "stupid" elastic bands between teeth as the plan was to pull them down into the correct positions. Other than that I think he found the whole experience quite un-interesting. He just let the orthodontist do his work, and the braces were off in around 20 months in the end. And he was left with beautifully straight teeth and a rather jealous older sister. He could now tease about how horrid her teeth were as his were now fixed. 

I think he likes his "new" teeth.

Comments

Popular Posts